Equipping for the Academy and the Church at the Highest Level
Newly structured: 60 credits, nine of which make up the sequence of comprehensive exams and dissertation.
Classes can be taken in residence or through advanced modules. Many classes are livestreamed as well. These new class options make it possible to earn a PhD without living in the Greenville area.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Theological Studies program at BJU Seminary offers a terminal degree for those who desire to teach on the college or graduate level. The degree also prepares those seeking the highest preparation for any pastoral or preaching/teaching ministry in the local church.
Candidates for this degree must demonstrate outstanding academic performance, competence in critical research and writing, and a high level of personal leadership and Christian character. Students may qualify to enroll in the sixty credit PhD with a Master of Divinity degree, or a research-based master’s degree like BJU Seminary’s MA in Biblical Language & Literature. The total credits are reduced to 36 for those entering the program with an approved Master of Theology degree, with specific requirements determined in consultation with the PhD program coordinator.
BJU Seminary has been awarding
- Old Testament Interpretation
- New Testament Interpretation
- Biblical and Systematic Theology
For those with outstanding scholarship in Bible and theology, desiring to function as a:
- College or Seminary Professor
- Scholar Pastor
A Doctor of Philosophy degree is now more accessible than ever. Hybrid models of education, which combine the convenience of online interaction and weeklong on-campus seminars, make it unnecessary for you to uproot your family or interrupt your ministry to move to Greenville. The cost of BJU Seminary’s
At the end of your course work, you will take oral and written comprehensive exams that focus on your area of concentration. Finally, you will complete your degree by writing a substantial, publishable dissertation in your field of study under the supervision of a faculty committee.
- Advanced Biblical Theology
- Advanced Theological Method
- Comprehensive Examinations
- Contemporary Theology
- Dissertation Defense
- Dissertation Prospectus
- Dissertation Research I
- Dissertation Research II
- Dissertation Research III
- Historical Theology: Ancient & Medieval Times
- Historical Theology: Reformation to Modern Times
- Issues in Biblical Ethics
- New Testament Hermeneutics & Exegetical Method
- Old Testament Hermeneutics & Exegetical Method
- Seminar in Advanced New Testament Theology
- Seminar in Advanced Old Testament Theology
- Seminar in Apologetics
- Seminar in Biblical Intertextuality
- Teaching Internship
- Theological Research & Writing
- Theology & Philosophy of Ministry