Residential courses extend over the Fall and Spring semesters with a break in the middle of each semester. To make these courses available for distance students, many classes are live-streamed. Because of the multiple class options, this degree is totally available from a distance and is designed to transfer flawlessly both from the Graduate Certificate in Biblical Counseling and into the Master of Divinity with a Biblical Counseling concentration. (Click icons for information.)
Christ-Centered and Scripture-driven (33-41 Credits)
Our program is designed to equip you as a Word-filled, Spirit empowered disciple of Jesus Christ who is competent and compassionate in evangelism and assisting fellow believers in their progressive sanctification. You will learn how to engage in Christ-centered, Scripture-driven counseling in partnership with local church ministries. The classes give you a broad look at counseling and psychology from a thoroughly biblical perspective. You will learn to evaluate secular and Christian psychological theories biblically and objectively. You will gain a clear understanding of the sufficiency-of-Scripture model of biblical counseling. You will study important counseling topics such as depression, anxiety, trauma, finances, marriage and children, addictions, and grief from a biblical perspective. Most importantly, you will learn how to offer hope through the eternal truths found in the Bible to those who are perplexed, lost, and hurting.
Biblical counselors know that living in a fallen world as fallen human beings introduces great suffering and challenge. Biblical counselors also recognize that some problems can be very complex, that they can, in fact, be caused by a genuine physical component and not by personal sin. Where a physical component is suspected, biblical counselors wisely invite competent medical professionals to diagnose and treat genuine organic etiology (for example, brain trauma, endocrine malfunction, tumor, disease, and infection).
Biblical counselors, therefore, need a robust theology and practice of counseling that are grounded in the doctrines of progressive sanctification and Scripture’s sufficiency. In this master’s program, you will receive rigorous instruction from professors who not only have high academic credentials, but who counsel people from Scripture on a regular basis in their own counseling ministries.
Biblical Counseling Program
Those with an undergraduate biblical counseling degree will have advanced standing, requiring as little as 33 credits. The program includes two Practicum courses where your own counseling sessions are evaluated by certified counselors. Upon completion, you will have met all the academic requirements for ACBC (Association of Certified Biblical Counselors) certification and will be prepared for the following vocations:
- Pastoral Staff
- Biblical Counseling Centers
- Urban Ministry Settings
- Addiction Ministries
- Various Social and Children’s Works
Each student will be able to:
- Apply the theological framework of progressive sanctification and sufficiency of Scripture in relationship to biblical counseling.
- Apply a biblical methodology that facilitates change and growth to the glory of God in individuals who struggle with multiple counseling issues.
- Critique secular and integrational counseling theories and methodologies from a biblical counseling perspective.
- Apply biblical, ethical and legal responsibilities in the counseling context.
- SCM 610: Sex Abuse Prevention & Response Training (0)
- SCM 630: Counseling Children & Adolescents (3)
- SCM 631: Theories of Counseling (3)
- SCM 632: Foundations of Biblical Counseling (3)
- SCM 633: Counseling Issues (3)
- SCM 635: Advanced Counseling Issues (3)
- SCM 637: Marriage & Family Counseling (3)
- SNT 620: Survey of the New Testament (2)
- SOT 620: Survey of the Old Testament (2)
- STh 601: Systematic Theology (3)
- STh 602: Systematic Theology (3)
- STh 635: Biblical Hermeneutics (3)
- STh 692: Introduction to Seminary Research & Writing (1)
- STh 703: Biblical Sanctification (3)